About: Admin Discussion Threads

Suggest improvements for the server, website, forum, or staff.

Alicia
Administrator
Administrator
In-Game Name: Alicia

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:04 am

I've seen a lot of comments lately (some more polite, most rather less) about the lack of involvement by the server administration in the community and I'd like to rectify that.

So. We're starting a new thing -- Admin Discussion Threads. These are highly specific open discussion threads, created in the Suggestions subsection of the forums, to receive community feedback on individual problems that we feel would be best addressed by reaching out to the community. There are some things that are better left not to the community, and for those, we will continue as we have been previously -- but for discussions of balance and such, we would like to gather more information from the playerbase before proceeding with a potential solution.

I do want to make it clear that we will continue to monitor, and reply to, suggestions the same way as we have before. Discussion Threads are only made if we feel a topic is of particular importance that we want to call for a general playerbase opinion on things. Most suggestions don't warrant that level of involvement and so we won't bother. Only for stuff that potentially affects large portions of the playerbase and/or stuff where the best answer is uncertain will we open a community polling thread.

Now, this particular thread serves as the FAQ and suggestion board for new topics to be discussed. It's inevitable that because we don't put the same level of playtime into the game as many players do, our viewpoints may be skewed and we may miss out on important issues occurring within the game. So suggest new topics here and if you (and we) feel it's important/a major problem that also requires player discussion to come to the best conclusion, we can open a new Discussion Thread for it.

We don't expect Discussion Threads to be perfect, or for every Discussion Thread to reach a universal consensus -- but I do hope that, by reaching out to the community, we can get some more diverse opinions on issues affecting the playerbase at large.

Most of the usual rules apply in Discussion Threads, but even more so -- don't flame, don't spam, keep it civil, etcetera.

Thank you for your understanding and continued patience!

absolutely not cereal

qowodhks2
Topaz
Topaz

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:40 am

While I can't comprehend how much work it takes to run a server on top of having a day job.

All I want is a little bit more transparency from staff.

They certainly do not need to respond to every single specific thread, but enough to show that the suggestions are being read and it is visible to the playerbase that the admins/devs do actually read them .

Honestly, i think something like a weekly or bi-weekly progression thread would be really good as in

Every week or 2 weeks there is a thread written by a dev on what is being changed next, what is getting nerfed or buffed, what qol changes are ocming in the next patch .

The fact that we get the patch notes like an hour before the patch is live i think is pretty bad
cocoa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:51 pm

qowodhks2 wrote:

The fact that we get the patch notes like an hour before the patch is live i think is pretty bad
Getting patch notes right before the server goes down for the patch would be a horrible idea for the economy. Imagine the amount of panic buying there would be if patch notes indicate a nerf to the obtainability of certain items.
qowodhks2 wrote:

Honestly, i think something like a weekly or bi-weekly progression thread would be really good as in
But +1 to this. Information like that should be disseminated through the discord announcements/updates though, rather than the forums. Another idea would be to implement a "news" npc in the FM where the same updates are shown. A little redundant but it would help with the dissemination of information to everyone.
qowodhks2
Topaz
Topaz

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 pm

cocoa wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:51 pm
qowodhks2 wrote:

Getting patch notes right before the server goes down for the patch would be a horrible idea for the economy. Imagine the amount of panic buying there would be if patch notes indicate a nerf to the obtainability of certain items.
qowodhks2 wrote:

But +1 to this. Information like that should be disseminated through the discord announcements/updates though, rather than the forums. Another idea would be to implement a "news" npc in the FM where the same updates are shown. A little redundant but it would help with the dissemination of information to everyone.
patch notes could come out as the server goes down.

it will give admins some sort of feedback from the community.
Alicia
Administrator
Administrator
In-Game Name: Alicia

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:32 pm

qowodhks2 wrote:

Every week or 2 weeks there is a thread written by a dev on what is being changed next, what is getting nerfed or buffed, what qol changes are ocming in the next patch .

I can do that. But it would probably have to be a bit sporadic. The server's update cycle is a little too slow for us to really fill a weekly thread with much of substance, so it would be 2 weeks and we'd likely skip some weeks altogether if there's nothing too gamechanging in the works.

I'll think about it more.

absolutely not cereal

qowodhks2
Topaz
Topaz

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:59 pm

Alicia wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:32 pm
qowodhks2 wrote:

I can do that. But it would probably have to be a bit sporadic. The server's update cycle is a little too slow for us to really fill a weekly thread with much of substance, so it would be 2 weeks and we'd likely skip some weeks altogether if there's nothing too gamechanging in the works.

I'll think about it more.
i think bi weekly is fine, even a monthly or every 3 weeks.

I think as long as people are aware of what problems are being tackled currently is enough to put some people at ease.
cythechemist
Interested Member
Interested Member
In-Game Name: Trajectory

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Hiya! First and foremost, mad respect for you Alicia and your mod/dev team. I can't imagine running a server like this on top of my job that required many 80 hr weeks pre-pandemic.

The following two topics might be helpful to discuss in threads with players so that there's less pitchforks / anger / toxicity on discord:

1. Your overall vision for the server (which content you prioritize developing, what you want the server to look like in a month from now, a year from now). Example of this: Most (not all, but most) players know to not spam suggestions with "please bring adele" because we already know the GMS version will not be updated. That type of information.

2. What criteria you feel must be satisfied for classes to be considered well balanced versus imbalanced. And what role you do / do not want the players to have in developing these balances. The thread could also contain examples of critique that have previously helped you balance classes. This might make "help _____ class" threads be more productive in the future if we know which player requests are reasonable and which are not, and hopefully it'd mean less text to comb through on the forums as well.

Thanks for making this thread and being open to hearing players' thoughts. Much appreciated. :D
weehen
In-Game Name: VolksGod3

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Now u do that after the player quit. Don't think it's too late?
heibai

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 pm

weehen wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Now u do that after the player quit. Don't think it's too late?
Truly, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this incredibly useful, necessary comment. This comment has watered my crops, cleared my skin, fixed racism, and cured all illnesses. Thank you for your bravery in posting this.
fluffybt
Topaz
Topaz
In-Game Name: FluffyKanna

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 am

Is it possible to extend the duration of the carepackages? Those who are LD bypass banned are being unbanned in ~15 days and the validity of these packages are only 1 week (from what I've heard)
Griefing
Amethyst
Amethyst
In-Game Name: FlameOn

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:29 am

fluffybt wrote:
Is it possible to extend the duration of the carepackages? Those who are LD bypass banned are being unbanned in ~15 days and the validity of these packages are only 1 week (from what I've heard)
I'd really doubt they'd accommodate people who actually LD bypassed. They gave people a "pass" for macroing as long as you're able to answer staff/LD but people aren't satisfied with that and want to fully afk instead. It wouldn't make sense for these people to be accommodated in the first place.
hard r btw
fluffybt
Topaz
Topaz
In-Game Name: FluffyKanna

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 am

Griefing wrote:
fluffybt wrote:
I'd really doubt they'd accommodate people who actually LD bypassed. They gave people a "pass" for macroing as long as you're able to answer staff/LD but people aren't satisfied with that and want to fully afk instead. It wouldn't make sense for these people to be accommodated in the first place.
I think the punishment of 30 days is already harsh enough, if we're gonna be left out as well wouldn't it be a double punishment? I don't think this effect is intended by the admins.
ByBasz
Topaz
Topaz

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:41 am

fluffybt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 am
Griefing wrote:
fluffybt wrote:
I think the punishment of 30 days is already harsh enough, if we're gonna be left out as well wouldn't it be a double punishment? I don't think this effect is intended by the admins.
Alicia already commented that people who are currently banned are not excluded from the care package on principle. However, if you're incapable of opening the care package in the set time span, you will not be compensated for that.

Edit: Alicia's original comment is this:
''you'll get them but depending on how long your ban duration is you might not get back on before they expire''
ms0689487
Topaz
Topaz

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 am

fluffybt wrote:
you'd make enough mesos already from ld bypassing, I don't see a point for you guys to get the care package.
  • Information